On 7 July 1784 Paul Storr son of Thomas,
victualler, of Tothill Street, Westminster, was apprenticed to William Rock of
Parliament Street, citizen and Vintner.
apprenticeship could appear singularly unremarkable for, at the time, he was
both son of a victualler and grandson of a former victualler; and was thus
following family tradition. However, as
it contradicted the accepted idea that Storr had only been informally
apprenticed to Andrew Fogelberg it prompted further research into his family,
about whom N.M.Penzer had already written so much in his book Paul Storr 1771-1844 Silversmith
and Goldsmith. This hopefully might provide some
information that would explain the association between Fogelberg and the
Storrs, leading to Paul Storr's career as a goldsmith, and also whether the
Rock family had any relevance.
To date the
marriage of Paul’s grandparent's, Edward and Elizabeth, is still untraced and
the first reference to them is found in the parish register of St. John's Smith
Square, Westminster, when their
daughter, Margaret, (born 29 February) was baptised on 2 March 1732. It is likely Elizabeth's maiden name was
Norton as it was used as a second name for their eldest son Edward and again as
such for William, one of their grandsons.
= Elizabeth (? Norton)
4.Edward Norton bp.
1735 in a list of licences “granted
and renewed to victuallers selling brandy and other distillations” in St.
George's Hanover Square in the Liberty of Westminster, Edward is recorded on
Thursday 18th September at the Horse Shoe, Audsley Street.
baptisms of three more of their children are recorded in the parish registers
of St.George's, Hanover Square,
Sarah (born 20) baptised 23 May 1734. Elizabeth (born 13 March) baptised 6
April 1736 and Edward Norton (born 27 July) baptised 16 August 1738.
family moved from the Horse Shoe to the
Angel in Tothill Street,
probably in 1740, as three more children were baptised at St. Margaret's
Westminster: John (born 9) baptised 13 January 1741. Thos (born 28) baptised 29
May 1743 and Mary (born 15) baptised 20 September 1749.
In 1743 Edward
Storr appears in the victuallers licence list for the parish. He is listed in
the poor rate books in 1752, 1762 and 1764 at
but in 1765 his name is crossed out. In the rates books between 1769-1770 there
appear to be no Storrs listed in the
Almonry, Union Street, or New Palace Yard.
In the Court of Alderman’s Papers for
January 1772, an
Elizabeth Storr, widow aged upwards of 64 years, “who had been a housekeeper
several years in the Parish of St.Margarets, Westminster, and paid all
parochial taxes - by many losses and misfortunes reduced to poverty and is
incapable of getting a sufficient maintenance by her labour”, applied to
the Governors of Emanuel Hospital in Westminster to admit her into the room of
Millersont Windsmore decd.
It appears her
petition was unsuccessful as the following
entry appears in the Court of Aldermans reps book dated 11 February 1772
: “Ann Davis a poor old woman of
St.Margarets Westminster was admitted into one of the dwelling houses in
Emanuel Hospital in the room of Eleanor Windmore deceased”.
No burial for
Edward or Elizabeth Storr is recorded
at St. Margaret's, Westminster between 1764-1784 and no wills have been
son, Edward Norton Sterr (sic), was apprenticed on 22 March 1753
to John Christopher Romerof
St.James's Westminster, silver chaser for 7 years at a premium of £5. Research
to date has produced no evidence of his
whereabouts after that date.
Their second son John was probably apprenticed
to a hatter sometime during 1755. No record of this has been found in the
apprentice records at The National Archives.
Apprenticeship records for
St. Margaret’s Westminster only date from 1767.
John married Elizabeth Martin at St.
Margaret's Westminster on the 8 August 1767.
A son, William Norton was baptised on the 23 August 1768. Joseph, their
second son, was born 18 September and baptised 8 October 1770. Elizabeth was buried on 2 July 1771 and the infant died shortly after. For some reason John was not granted a probate administration for
Elizabeth's goods and chattels until 1787. As a widower, he remarried at the same
church on 4 August 1774, Ann Nicholson, and this was witnessed by his brother
Thomas and a William Nicholson.
Elizabeth’s youngest son, Thomas (Paul
Storr’s father), was similarly apprenticed to Christopher Romer on the 11 October 1757.
His apprenticeship would have ended about 1764, but there is no evidence that
he became free of any City Livery Company.
Marylebone rates books
for 1764, 1769 and 1770 list a Thomas Starr, in Market Street, just off Oxford
Street. That this name Starr is merely
another misspelling of Storr is likely for two reasons.
in Thomas Storr's will, proved 27
January 1804, he
left property in Oxford Street to his
although three of his children were baptised at St. Mary Marylebone (in which
ward Market Street lay),. Thomas Scott (born 7) baptised 19 April 1767, Paul
(born 1) baptised 28 October 1770 and another Thomas born and baptised 8
November 1772. Unfortunately there is no mention in the registers of the death of their first-born, Thomas Scott, or the birth of their daughter Ann sometime between 1767 and
1770. Thomas had married Sarah Fulloway at Kensington 14 February 1765.
Thomas Storr = Sarah Fullaway
1.Thomas Scott bp.19/4/1767
5.Sarah bp 21/9/1775
married Samuel Amphlett on the 28 December 1787 at St. Margaret's Westminster,
and their son Samuel was baptised on the 12 December 1790 at St. Clement
Danes. Samuel Amphlett was apprenticed to his Uncle Paul on the 4 December
left the Marylebone area sometime during 1773 or early the following year as
another daughter, Sarah, was baptised at St. Margarets Westminster on 21
September 1775. Sarah married Richd. Bishop in Westminster in 1797
and is mentioned as Sarah Bishop in her father's will.
as a victualler in Union Street in the 1774 Westminster Poll Book, and is entered in the rates books at New Palace
Yard from 1774 until 1785.
By 1783 both
Thomas, and his brother John Storr, the
hatter, appear in the rates books. Thomas at New Palace Yard, paying rent of
£29 and tax of £1.2.4 and John in Union Street, paying rent of £18 and tax of
13s.10d. In a directory of 1790 the
number is shown as 12 Union Street. Thomas
also appears between 1783-86 renting a property in Little Queen Street North
which from 1788-1791 passed to his son-in-law Samuel Amphlett.
register of apprentices for St. Margaret and St. John the Evangelist,
there are two entries when both brothers are shown at Union Street. On the 23 June 1786 Thomas, victualler, took
Elizabeth Reed aged 13 years and 6 months apprentice until she was 21 years of
age, and on the 12 April 1789 John, hatter, took Elizabeth Jarman aged 15 years
until she was 21. John's son William is
also shown as a hatter of St.Margaret's in the same register, when he took John
Storr, a poor Boy of the parish of
Westminster, apprentice on 29 June 1795.
On the 17
August 1782, a Mr.Prickard,
paid John Storr 18.0s for a 'Fine Hat', and on the 3 January 1787, 11.0s for a
'Round Hat' and 16.0s for another 'Fine
By 1791 Thomas
Storr is no longer listed and John
Storr is paying rates on the house and garden at Horseferry Road on which
Thomas had taken out a lease in 1788.
In 1792 John’s wife Ann is shown at Union Street, and John is still
listed paying for Horseferry Road although by that date he had died. Thomas
reappears in 1793 paying £15.10s on the
Horseferry Road property.
died the 3l December 1803 and his will was proved 27 January 1804. From 1803-1822 the ratepayers of the
property in Tothill Fields were Mrs.Thomas Storr, Sarah Storr and another
nothing has been discovered that might explain why Thomas decided to abandon
the craft in which he appeared to have been trained and take up a similar trade
to that of his father. Penzer assumes
that he took over the family business but this appears unlikely as Edward Storr
appears to have disappeared from the Westminster area some years before Thomas
moved to Union Street.
completed his seven year apprenticeship Paul Storr was made Free of the
Vintners Company and the City of London on the 5 October 1791 when his address
was shown as Tothill Fields, Westminster.
He entered his
first mark at Goldsmiths’ Hall with
William Frisbee on the 2 May 1792 at 5 Cock Lane, Snow Hill and it was
not until 12 January 1793, on entering his second mark, that he moved to 30
Church Street formerly the work shop of Andrew Fogelberg.
married by licence at St.James' Piccadilly,
27 June 1801 Elizabeth Susanna Beyer, (1771-1843), youngest daughter of Adam
Beyer (1729-1804), of the parish of St. John Hampstead, Middlesex. Adam Beyer
traded as a piano and organ builder in Compton Street, Soho, with his brother
Elizabeth Storr had ten children
and fifty four grandchildren. Their son Paul was born 9 May and baptised on 31
May 1805 at St. James's Westminster. He was free of the Vintners' Company and
City of London by Patrimony 1 June 1836
when he was a Wine & Brandy & Hop Seed Merchant at 51 John Street,
Crutched Friars. He went on the livery 4 July 1839.
On 17 April
1828 Paul Storr entered into a civil apprenticeship with his second son Francis
and this seems strange as there would seem to be no reason why Francis could
not have become a free Vintner.
retired to Hill House, Tooting, Surrey and died there on the 18 March 1844
leaving an estate valued at £3,000. He
and Elizabeth are buried in the churchyard of Tooting Parish Church and during
1992 the Silver Study Group rediscovered their grave, which by that date was
completely obscured and hidden amongst a grove of trees and bushes. The site has since been cleared and it is
hoped will be maintained in the future.
further the undocumented apprenticeship of
Paul Storr to Andrew Fogelberg we must return to his father and his
In 1760 John
Christopher Romer bought the workshop formerly run by Edward Wakelin and
probably including his former apprentices, Ansil and Gilbert,
working as journeymen plateworkers, this places the young Thomas Storr working
alongside them during the period 1760-64.
the firm of Ansil and Gilbert took over the workshop in 1764 and by 1780
Gilbert was in partnership with Fogelberg.
Given the association with Gilbert and the fact that Ansil seems to have
disappeared from the scene by 1780 it seems logical to assume that Thomas chose
to apprentice his son within the firm of his former associate Gilbert, although
by the time of Paul's apprenticeship
his father was a victualler and there appears no evidence to suggest that he
was still involved in the trade of a silver chaser.
to support Storr's undocumented apprenticeship to Andrew Fogelberg appears
somewhat circumstantial. Although much
of his early work was very similar in style and design to Fogelberg's.
A letter written by John Samuel Hunt, in
which he speaks of Storr's 'foreign' master, and other papers in which the
statement is supposed to have been made, no longer appear to exist. When
Paul Storr became free of the Vintners’ Company in October 1791 he gave as his address the family property in
Westminster. His first mark, with William Frisbee 2 May 1792 was at 51 Cock
and it was not until 12 January 1793, on entering his second mark alone, that
he moved to 30 Church Street, formerly Fogelberg's workshop.
Fogelberg, having served an apprenticeship in his native Sweden came to England
sometime around 1760. He married by
licence 21 October 1766 at St.Ann's Soho Elizabeth Herbert. They were both
shown of the parish, the witnesses were Fra.Williams and John Elcock. At the same church on 17 April 1792 he
married Susannah Walker, who was from Hampstead, this was witnessed by his
business partner Stpn.Gilbert and a Joseph Davies. However, as a foreigner, he would not have been a member of a
City Livery Company and any apprentices would have been in a similar position
and this then could be the reason for the arrangement with William Rock.
the Manor Book for the Manor of Hampsteadhe
took a house on the south side of Pond Street, Hampstead on the 18 January
1796. In the Hampstead return of
population 10 March 1801 he was shown living there with three females (Susanna
and perhaps two servants). In the
census of 27 May 1811 he was still in Pond Street but the staff appeared to
have been reduced to one. He died early
in 1815 and his will drawn on 22 December 1803 and proved 3 February 1815 left
the house to his wife.
On 3 August
1815 Susanna Fogelberg, widow admitted on the ground of the Lady (of the Manor
of Hampstead ) after an Escheat (accrued on the death of Andrew Fogelberg - an
alien born, and never naturalised or indentised according to the Laws of
England) to all that Messuage or tenement with the Yard Garden and appurtenances
thereunto belong, situate on the south side of Pond Street.....afterwards the
said Susanna Fogelberg in Court surrendered the said messuage and premises to
Paul Storr, of Pond Street, Hampstead, aforesaid, esquire, his heirs and
assigns forever. By 17 April
1816 Susannah Fogelberg had moved to rented accommodation at 8 Denmark Street,
Her will was proved on 17 August 1818.
Paul Storr's formal master, took sixteen apprentices through the Vintners
Company between 1772 and 1806. In all
the apprenticeship entries after 1787 he is shown as a gentleman of Parliament
Street and it appears he received no
official payment. From the varying
trades carried out by those who became free it appears unlikely that he was
teaching them a working trade, and therefore it seems plausible to assume that
the apprenticeships were for convenience only.
obviously was a connection between the Fogelbergs and Storr but as yet no definite documentary evidence has been
discovered. Susannah Fogelberg surrendered
her property in Hampstead to Paul Storr in August 1815, however, she had
married sometime after Storr finished his apprenticeship and before he took
over the workshop
Company Apprenticeship Book held at the Guildhall Library.
. Held at
City of Westminster Archive Centre.
Edward Storr does not appear paying rates in St.Johns
Ward at this date.
The Licences are held at the Greater London Record Office. The spelling of
Audley Street varied and
was sometimes spelt Audsley, this is the street now
comprising North and South Audley Street, stretching from Oxford Street in the
north to Curzon Street in the South. The spelling of Storr also tended to vary and in many of the victuallers licences
is spelt Sturr.
. Held at
City of Westminster Archives Centre.
toot hill was the highest ground in an area which could be used as an
observation post or for the erection of a beacon, and this is where Tothill
Street takes its name. In the 16th and
17th centuries it was lined with the houses of aristocratic families but in
about 1658 much of the street was rebuilt with smaller houses, some of which
were used as inns. In a London Street Directory dated 1842 it appears the Angel
was situated at No.47 Tothill Street, which was probably at the eastern end on
the north side. It was pulled down by
Almonry was a low rookery of houses off Tothill Street, Westminster, where the
alms of the adjoining Abbey were wont to be distributed (London Past & Present p39)
. Held at the
LMA. The petition was signed on behalf of the Ministers and Churchwardens
of St.Margarets by Wm Gibard and Thos
Hatch and stated “We do believe the
Petitioner to be a Person of Sober Life and Conversation and a Member of the
Church of England”. Elizabeth Storr was recommend by John Watham, Samuel
Gordon, WmWhipham, Jn Elridge, Edwd Polhill and James Clee.
[Court of Aldermans Papers St Emanuels Hospital, Reps Books Jan 1772]
Ref: IR1/21 f 101.
John Christopher Romer was born about 1715 He was possibly related to Emick Romer, who originated and was
apprenticed in Norway, and whose work for Parker and Wakelin is recorded in
their second Workmen's Ledger. John
Christopher Romer was married, as a bachelor, aged 29, at St.James's Piccadilly
2 February 1744 to Millecent Bennett of Clifton, Gloucestershire. He appears in
the Parker & Wakelin ledgers and in 1760 what had been Wakelin's workshop
was transferred to J.C.Romer. This
transfer of lease was obviously an internal arrangement since his name is
absent from the parish rate books of the period, but the facts as stated in the
ledger are clear: 1760 - Oct 11 To cash allow's for patterns, fixtures &
the lease of the house to be tranferd to him £400.0s.0d.
To: 2 beds 2
bolsters 4 blankets 2 cerlids a grate fire shovell & tongs 6 chairs a large
candle box & a safe £7.7s0d.
. TNA Ref:
Prob 6/163 1787 Jan Middx Admon: Storr
formerly Martin - Elizabeth Storr formerly Martin late of the Parish of
St.Margarets, Westminster to John Storr the husband of the deceased.
story is well documented by N.M. Penzer in Paul
Storr 1771-1844 Silversmith and
 Held at
rates books are held at City of Westminster Archives Centre. New Palace Yard is the open space to the
north of St. Margaret's church and churchyard, and Union Street leads into it.
It was for centuries a place of punishment. The last man to be pilloried there
was John Wilkes the Fleet Street publisher. The houses on the south side of
Bridge Street were demolished in 1866-67.
Held at City
of Westminster Archives Centre.
Muniment Room. Dean & Chapter of Westminster ref: WAM 55641, WAM 54254, WAM
Coroner from 1762-92 at St.Margaret's. He was appointed a joint receiver
 From the
Parish Registers of St.James,
Piccadilly, held at City of Westminster
“ Paul Storr of the Parish and Elizabeth
Susanna Beyer of the Parish of St.John Hampstead in the County of Middlesex
were married in this Church by Licence from the Archbishop of Canterbury 27
June 1801 by me David Evans Minister in the presence of Ada Beyer, Sarah
Reid A Jennings and D.Cummings”.
of their children appears buried at
Hampstead: ‘Sacred to the Memory of John Bridge Storr
Infant son of Paul & Elizth Storr who died September 7th 1814
aged 5 months & 17 days. MI’s at the SOG
See p53 Paul
Storr 1771-1844 Silversmith and
Goldsmith by N.M.Pennzer
 See Silver
Society Journal No.6 Winter 1994 Page 288 Article by Martin Gubbins.
Gilbert son of John, late of Hixton in the County of Stafford
yeoman deceased, was apprenticed to Edward Wakelin 8 May 1752. However he appears before this in the
ledgers of the latter - when 11 years old, being paid wages, £5 in 1749-50 and
£6 in 1751. The payments ceased with a settlement of £3.15s, his wages for
seven months 14 days, on the day of his apprenticeship” (E.B.) He was made free of the Goldsmiths’ Company
1 February 1764. Gilbert entered two marks as largeworker with Andrew
Fogelberg on 17 July 1780 at 29 Church Street, St.Annes, Soho. Sometime after 1759 and before 1766 James
Ansill (apprenticed to Edward Wakelin 1748) became a partner with Stephen
Gilbert and judging from the large number of pages devoted to Messrs.Ansill
& Gilbert in Workmen’s Ledger No.2 they were the main outside suppliers of
wrought silver to the firm of Parker
and Wakelin. From George Wickes, Royal
Goldsmith 1698-1761 by Elaine Barr
Mention is made in Paul Storr
1771-1844 Silversmith and Goldsmith
25 William Frisbee was the son of John of the
Old Bailey, citizen and tallow
chandler and was apprenticed to John Crouch of Giltspur Street, 5 October 1774
and was free of the Goldsmiths' Company 6 February 1782. He entered his lst Mark 12 April 1791 with John Edwards at 48 Jewin Street. 2nd
alone 11 January 1792. 3rd with Paul Storr 2 May 1792 at 51 Cock Lane. 4th
alone 23 June 1798.
Apprentices: 6 May 1789 John Edwards, son of John of
Jewin Street, Cripplegate to WF of the same place. 3 October 1792 John Truman
to WF of Cock Lane, Snow Hill, plateworker. 7 November 1792 Joseph Bradwell to
WF of Cock Lane, Snow Hill, plateworker. 7 October 1795 John Foskett to WF of
Cow Lane, Snow Hill, Goldsmith. 1 March 1797 Charles Plimpton. 6 March 1799
John Frisbee. 4 December 1799 Thomas Frisbee. 1 January 1817 Thomas Hall son of
Robert late app to WF t/o to John Edward Terry. John Terry was made free of the
Vintners Company by Patrimony 3.6.1812.
Swiss Cottage Public Library - Manor Book 1783-1809.
Swiss Cottage Public Library - Manor Book Dec 1809-April 1824,p.152. It is also
interesting to note that Maria Elizabeth Rundell, sister-in-law of Philip Rundell was also living in Hampstead
and is mentioned in the Manor Books.
Library: Sun Registers MS11936/471,917457.